5 Cocktails Inspired by Your Popular Childhood Filipino Snacks
What are cocktail recipes inspired by popular childhood Filipino snacks?
- Mik-Mik: Choco Martini
- Potchi: Pretty in Pink Champagne
- Choc Nut: Chocolate Milkshake Surprise
- White Rabbit: Caramel White Russian
- Iced Gem: Iced Gingerbread Martini
Do you ever taste something that instantly throws you back to your childhood? Well, with the right mixture of liquor in the Philippines, you can now recreate the delicious taste of your popular childhood snacks. From the thick, chocolate goodness of Chocnut to the bright pink color of Potchi, these drinks can capture both the taste and look of your favorite delights.
Reminisce on the good old days with these cocktails inspired by your popular childhood Filipino snacks.
Mik-Mik: Choco Martini
Do you remember the days of non-stop laughter as you and your friends accidentally inhale Mik-Mik too quickly and end up a coughing mess? Well, now that you are older, you can enjoy a new version of this sweetened milk and chocolate powder without going into intense coughing fits.
The Choco Martini can mimic the rich taste of this chocolate powder. It is also a new version of the traditional Martini as it uses vodka instead of gin. Besides the taste, you could even line the rim of the martini glass with actual Mik-Mik powder. Here is the recipe for a Mik-Mik Choco Martini:
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. dark chocolate liqueur
- 1 tsp chocolate syrup
- 2 packs Mik-Mik Powder (for garnish)
- On a small plate, pour in packets of Mik-Mik.
- Put a few drops of chocolate liqueur on the tip of a martini glass.
- Dip the tip on to the Mik-Mik powder.
- Chill the glass while preparing the other ingredients.
- Fill a shaker halfway with ice cubes.
- Pour in vodka and chocolate liqueur. Shake vigorously.
- Take the martini glass out of the refrigerator.
- Strain the mixture into the martini glass.
Besides chocolate delights, another type of popular childhood Filipino snack is a certain well-known strawberry gummy candy.
Potchi: Pretty in Pink Champagne
Potchi is a strawberry cream gummy candy that comes in tiny little pink packets. One trip to the sari-sari store with a handful of coins can get you a ton of pieces to surprise your friends with. Now that you have transitioned together from childhood to adulthood, surprise your friends once more with a concoction that is reminiscent of your favorite strawberry gummy candy.
Pretty in Pink Champagne is a bright pink cocktail that can recreate the subtly sweet flavor of strawberries in one drink. Prepare this drink with a bowl full of Potchi in order to complete the experience. Here is the recipe for Potchi Pretty in Pink Champagne:
- ½ oz. vodka
- 3 oz. pink champagne
- 1 can cranberry ginger ale
- strawberry or cranberry (for garnish)
- Ensure that all of your ingredients have been chilled.
- In a champagne flute, pour in the vodka.
- Then, pour in the pink champagne.
- Fill the rest of the glass up with cranberry ginger ale.
- Garnish with a strawberry or a cranberry, if desired.
Another popular childhood Filipino snack that you may remember is a certain tiny, rectangular-shaped chocolate-peanut snack.
Choc Nut: Chocolate Milkshake Surprise
Besides Potchi, another small little treat you can get in any sari-sari store is the iconic chocolate-peanut snack, Choc Nut. These brittle little pieces of chocolate have a distinct taste that anyone can easily recognize. It is known to crumble into tiny pieces that eventually coats the whole mouth. Its popularity has even encouraged its owner to release a limited edition Choc Nut spread for Filipinos to enjoy.
Create your own elevated Choc Nut cocktail with Chocolate Milkshake Surprise. This easy recipe just requires a few ingredients and a blender. Here is the recipe for Choc Nut Chocolate Milkshake Surprise:
- 2 oz. vodka
- 3 oz. Irish cream liqueur
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup
- 2 scoops Mocha ice cream
- Whipped cream
- 5 packets Choc Nut (3 for mixture, 2 for garnish)
- Pour all liquor and 3 packets of Choc Nut into a blender.
- Combine until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into a mason jar.
- Top it off with whipped cream.
- Crush up the Choc Nut and sprinkle it over.
- Use your own paper or metal straw.
Continue reminiscing on your childhood with other creamy candies such as a certain popular brand of milk candy.
White Rabbit: Caramel White Russian
White Rabbit Creamy Candy is a small, cylindrical milk candy with a rice wrapping layer that is meant to be eaten along with it. This is a popular snack amongst Filipinos even until today as establishments are releasing variations such as White Rabbit ice cream flavors. To recreate the creamy taste of White Rabbit candy, try out an equally creamy concoction.
A White Russian is a creamy concoction that is relatively easy to make. With the mixture of caramel and coffee liqueur, it can further enhance the drink to better resemble White Rabbit candy. Here is the recipe for White Rabbit Caramel White Russian:
- 1 ½ oz. vodka
- ¾ oz. Luaco liqueur
- ¾ oz. melted caramel
- ¾ oz. cream
- 1 14 oz. bag of soft caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream (for caramel)
Instructions for Melted Caramel
- Place unwrapped caramels in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Stir every 5 minutes using a rubber spatula to prevent burning.
- After it has completely melted and integrated, let it cool before using it.
Instructions for Caramel White Russian
- Take a spoon, dip it into the caramel and slowly pour it into an old-fashioned glass, creating clean lines. Try to make it into a spiral from the middle outwards.
- Next, pour in all liquid ingredients.
- Put in a few cubes of ice and lightly mix.
Do you know what goes well with thick, milk tastes? The crunchy wholesome flavor of a tasty biscuit.
Iced Gem: Iced Gingerbread Martini
Iced Gem Biscuits are circular biscuits with a small multi-colored meringue on top, which is also considered the “gem”. They come in a variety of packaging, all filled-up with crunchy deliciousness. While some choose to eat these biscuits as a whole, others choose to bite off and enjoy the gems first before eating the crunchy bottom.
In order to give Iced Gems a more modern treatment, here is a sweet gingerbread cocktail that you can top with crushed biscuits and whole gems. Let’s check out the recipe for Iced Gem Iced Gingerbread Martini:
Ingredients for Cocktail
- 4 oz. Irish cream liqueur
- 4 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. Luaco
- 2 scoops softened vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream (for garnish)
- 1 large bag of Iced Gems
- 2 oz. Gingerbread Syrup
Ingredients for Gingerbread Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into rounds
Instructions for Gingerbread Syrup
- In a small saucepan, add in sugar, cloves, water, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil while continually stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Lower the heat into a simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before use.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Instructions for Cocktail
- Chill martini glasses while making the mixture.
- For garnish, take out 2 plates and separate the biscuit from the gem.
- Crush together biscuits into crumbs.
- For the drink, add ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Pour in Irish cream liqueur, Luaco, vodka, Gingerbread Syrup, and ice cream.
- Shake well.
- Pour into chilled martini glasses.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle biscuit crumbs over.
- Finish garnishing by carefully placing gems around the top.
Did you enjoy your trip down memory lane? Why not try your hand at making your own adult version of your favorite childhood Filipino snacks?
With the right recipe, liquor in the Philippines can be turned into an upgraded version of your favorite childhood snacks. Feel free to experiment with the volume of each of the ingredients listed in order to recreate the taste based on your own experiences and preferences.
Prepare a small serving for you to enjoy on your own or create big batches of these recipes in order to share the experience with your closest friends. Perfectly capture the taste of your childhood with recipes made with high-quality liquor.