Summer Splash: Best Cocktails to Enjoy with Your Buds
What are the best cocktails to enjoy with your group of friends?
- Beat The Heat
- The Bigger, The Better
- Sweet Summer Shooters
- Weekend Getaway
Looking to get away from the summer heat with your best friends? Want to try something new? Try these different concoctions made from a combination of the best liquor in the Philippines!
Beat The Heat
Check out these refreshing fruit-based drinks to help you cool off this summer. Feel free to replace these with fruits of your choice!
- 2 oz. cognac
- 750 ml white wine dry (1 bottle)
- 2 cups ginger ale
- 1 lime cut into slices
- ½ pineapple (cut into wedges)
- 1 cup strawberries (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup lime grenadine
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups ice
- In a large pitcher or bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well.
- Mix and match different summer fruits depending on your taste.
Easy Breezy Watermelon Mojito
- 1 cup rum
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup simple syrup (combine equal parts sugar & water)
- 50 fresh mint leaves
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice (approximately 5 limes)
- 2 cans of soda (the clear kind)
- Puree the watermelon in a blender. If you want a smoother drink, use a strainer.
- Measure out 2 cups of the pureed watermelon.
- Get a large pitcher and put the fresh mint inside. Add the 2 cups of pureed watermelon in and lightly mix to bring out the flavor.
- Add the remaining watermelon puree, fresh lime juice, ⅔ cup simple syrup, and rum.
- Add the ice, making sure that it fills the whole pitcher. Top it with the soda.
- To make it sweeter, add more simple syrup.
- Garnish with mint, lime, and watermelon slices.
- 3 oz. vodka
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 bottle ginger beer
- In a small saucepan, continuously stir sugar and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add strawberries. When it gets soft, mash with a fork and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Pour mixture through a sifter and mash the chunks.
- In a pitcher, combine the strawberry mixture, lime juice, and vodka.
- Add ginger beer and stir well.
- Pour into glasses with ice and serve.
The Bigger, The Better
Worried about not having enough refreshments for your friends? In the Philippines, whiskey, vodka, rum, and other kinds of liquor are combined to make big batches of refreshing drinks. Check out some of these cocktails that come in big batches.
- 1 bottle Vodka
- 1 bottle Rum
- 1 bottle Tequila
- 1 bottle Peach Schnapps
- ¾ bottle Blue curacao
- 2 bottles White Cranberry Peach Juice
- 2 bottles White Grape Peach Juice
- Sliced Strawberries
- Sliced Oranges
- Add strawberry and orange slices into an extremely large container.
- Mix liquors and juices.
- Scoop contents into a glass with ice and finish with a slice of fruit.
Berry Berry Good Lemonade
- 4 cups whiskey or bourbon
- 1 cup raspberry liqueur
- 16 oz. pomegranate juice
- ½ gallon tart lemonade
- 1 lb. blackberries
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 1 lemon
- 1-¼ cup sugar
- After washing, refrigerate 2 dozen blackberries and strawberries for garnishing.
- Cut up the remaining strawberries and blackberries into smaller pieces.
- Add the cut up pieces into a pitcher. Mix in other ingredients.
- Place in the fridge overnight to allow the berries to soak the alcohol in.
- When ready to drink, pour in a glass with ice.
Big Bad Boulevardier
- 25 cups whiskey
- 1 cup Campari
- 1 cup sweet vermouth
- Orange twist (for garnish)
- Add ingredients into a big pitcher. Mix well.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to serve, pour 3 ounces into an ice-filled shaker and stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into a glass and garnish with orange twist.
Sweet Summer Shooters
Want something to satisfy your sweet tooth and refresh you at the same time? Check out these dessert-flavored shots.
Wake Up Espresso Shot
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. espresso
- 1 oz. Luaco
- 1 oz. heavy cream
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Apply cream on the rims of the shot glasses.
- When ready, carefully pour into the glasses.
Mango Sago Shot
- ½ cup rum
- 1 mango
- 4 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 7 ice cubes
- ¼ cup small cooked tapioca pearls
- Peel and chop mango into small pieces.
- Blend together the chopped mango, Greek yogurt, sugar, ice cubes, and rum.
- In a shot glass, add the cooked pearls. Slowly pour the blended mixture on top.
Gummy Bear’s Revenge
- 15 ml vodka
- 15 ml Peach Schnapps
- 5 ml Sweet & Sour mix
- 5 ml lemon lime clear soda
- White Gummy Bears (for garnish)
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Put 1 gummy bear in a shot glass. Slowly pour the mixture over it.
Bring the seaside to you with these beach-themed cocktails.
- 100 ml vodka
- 100 ml rum
- 100 ml tequila
- 100 ml whiskey
- 100 ml gin
- 100 ml grenadine syrup
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Mix together all ingredients in a large container.
- When ready to serve, pour the mixture into a glass with ice.
- 2 oz. rum
- ½ lime juice
- 4 oz. soda (Coca-Cola or other preferred soft drinks)
- Mix together all ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a glass with ice.
- 2 oz. rum
- 8 oz. white rum
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cut into 1-½ inch pieces
- 6 oz. sweetened cream of coconut
- 2 oz. unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- Place pineapples a plastic bag. Place in the freezer until completely solid.
- In a blender, puree all ingredients until smooth.
- Place blender cup in the freezer until mixture has thickened.
- Blend again until mixture is the consistency of a slushy.
- When ready, pour into glasses.
Itching to travel away from the heat of the country? Try these different summer cocktails from around the world made from liquors found in the Philippines such as whiskey, vodka, and champagne.
Africa: The Kenyan Dawa
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 lime
- Crushed ice cubes
- Stick of Honey
- Cut the lime in four, leave the skin on.
- In a mason jar, add the cut limes and sugar. Crush together with a wooden stick.
- Add in the ice, vodka, and honey.
- Gently crush all together.
- When ready, pour in a glass and serve.
- 2 oz. whiskey
- 5 cups water
- ½ cups long grain white rice (to garnish)
- 6 oz. slivered almonds (to garnish)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cups sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl add together water, almonds, rice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, blend together the ingredients until smooth.
- Cover a strainer with a cheesecloth and put on top of a bowl.
- Pour blended mixture into the strainer. Use a spoon to mash the chunks.
- Pour the strained mixture back into the blender and add condensed milk.
- Combine mixture with whiskey in a jar.
- When ready, pour into a glass with ice. Sprinkle ground cinnamon for taste.
France: Kir Royale
- 6 oz. champagne
- ½ oz. crème de cassis
- Lemon twist
- Add the crème de cassis to the bottom of a champagne glass.
- Pour the champagne into the glass slowly.
- Add a lemon twist for garnish.
Give Your Cocktails a Twist
Carved fruits make perfect glasses
When using fruit such as watermelon or pineapple, carefully carve around the skin. The end result is your own tropical glass.
To really encapsulate the beach theme, you can use some seashells as your glasses. Or to make your garnishes more fun, cut them out in different shapes!
Wow your friends with a new kind of shot! Simply combine your chosen cocktail with a gelatin mixture and place in the freezer to solidify.
This heat is no joke, especially if you’re from the Philippines. Liquor mixtures can take you from the poolside to the beachside with just one sip. Enjoy these refreshing summer concoctions!