Top 6 Liquors You Need to Stock Your Home Bar With
What are liquors that you should stock your home bar with?
Is your idea of relaxing after a long day at work mixing yourself up a cocktail?
Do you enjoy making cocktails for your friends when they come over?
Are you looking to learn how to mix more classic cocktails?
Well, then this article is perfect for you. In order to make a variety of drinks, your home will need its own professional bar. Keep your home bar stocked with popular liquors used in a number of classic drinks. To make things easier, these drinks are some of the most easily accessible liquors in the Philippines.
Read on to learn about the top liquors that you should be stocking your home bar with.
Vodka is known for its clean and transparent flavor. This is mainly the reason why it is one of the most commonly used distilled spirits to make cocktails. You can mix vodka with almost anything. Or, if you are having an extra rough day, drink it on the rocks.
When choosing a bottle of vodka, take note of its price range.
If you are the type of person who prefers to mix vodka with other liquors and ingredients, then you may simply get a budget-friendly brand. However, if you like drinks that highlight the natural taste of liquors, then you may want to save up for top-shelf vodka.
Here is a classic cocktail made with vodka:
The Bloody Mary has been popularized in mainstream media as the perfect drink for brunch, hangovers, and before boarding an airplane.
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 5 oz. Tomato juice
- 1/2 oz. Fresh lemon Juice
- ½ oz. Worcestershire
- Pepper (a pinch)
- Celery salt (a pinch)
- Lemon (for garnish)
- Celery (for garnish)
- Olives (for garnish)
- In a highball glass, combine all ingredients.
- Add in ice and mix.
- Garnish with lemon, olives, and celery.
Besides vodka, another translucent yet powerful liquor to use in cocktails is gin.
Gin is a clear spirit that gives a burst of flavor. This has made it a staple in classic drinks that allows you to really take in the natural taste of the liquor, such as martinis. Make sure that you also keep vermouth and tonic water in stock in order to create gin-based drinks.
Although, not everybody is such a huge fan of gin. Take note that each bottle of gin is different. The higher the price of gin does not always mean that it is of higher quality. Try out different brands until you find the one best suited for you.
Here is a classic cocktail made with gin:
At a bar, you may be able to choose from a Vodka Martini or a Gin Martini. Alcohol experts will tell you that the Gin Martini is the superior mix.
- 2 ¾ oz. Gin
- ¾ oz. Dry vermouth
- Lemon twist or olives (for garnish)
- To chill, put a cocktail glass into the refrigerator.
- Then, in a mixing glass, put in ice.
- Pour in all ingredients and stir well.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist or olives.
If you are looking for a type of liquor that you can bring out at parties, then the next type of liquor may just be what you have been looking for.
Tequila is a popular liquor in any party. This is because tequila is actually quite versatile. It can be mixed in a number of cocktails, with soda or seltzer, and even taken purely as shots.
When stocking up on tequila, try out the different styles to find your most preferred one. The style that can be mixed into almost anything is a silver tequila. If you have the budget, you may want to go for a higher-end tequila such as a reposado. The difference in taste is astounding.
Here is a classic cocktail made with tequila:
A Classic Margarita is known for its ability to harmoniously combine three simple ingredients—tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur.
- 1 ½ oz. silver tequila
- 1 oz. orange liqueur (Triple Sec)
- ½ oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- A small plate of kosher or flake salt (for glass)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- First, salt the glass. Pour some salt in a wide bowl or a small dish plate.
- Rub a wedge of lime on the rim of the glass.
- Dip the rim into the salt.
- Next, for the Margarita. Fill the glass up with some fresh ice and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, pour in tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur.
- Shake for 10 seconds and strain into a salted cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon wedge.
Another type of liquor that you should definitely bring out during parties is rum.
Any well-rounded bar has at least two bottles of rum: one light rum and one either dark or spiced rum. For most cocktails, you will be using light rum. This includes mojitos, daiquiris, and other classical tropical drinks.
However, if you are looking to create tiki cocktails, then you will need to use dark rum. The rich taste with hints of molasses is more of a specialty liquor for your bar, which means that you will most likely bring it out for extremely special occasions.
Here is a classic cocktail made with rum:
Piña Colada translated means “strained pineapple”. It is made up of three primary ingredients that help enhance its tropical taste.
- 2 oz. White rum
- 2 oz. Coconut cream
- 2 oz. Pineapple juice
- Pineapple leaf (for garnish)
- Put a hurricane glass into the refrigerator.
- For the drink, pour ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Pour in all ingredients.
- Cover and shake vigorously until frosted over.
- Take hurricane glass out of the refrigerator and fill with crushed ice.
- Strain mixture into chilled hurricane glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple leaf.
If you are looking to make more high-end and classy cocktails, then you will want to stock up on whiskey.
Whiskey is more difficult to purchase as there are a number of different varieties, each one with its own different use. Try to start with two bottles of your favorite type of whiskey. As you fill up your bar at home, try to have one bottle of each style in stock.
If you are planning on mixing whiskey with other liquors and ingredients, then you may want a bourbon or a Canadian whisky. If you are a big fan of whisky and enjoy mixing drinks every night, then Rye whiskey would be the perfect one for you. If you want something a bit more luxurious, go for an Irish whiskey or a decently blended scotch.
Here is a classic cocktail made with whiskey:
The Old Fashioned
The Old Fashioned is a classic whiskey cocktail. It is simple to make, needing only a few dashes of bitters to complete the drink.
- 2 oz. Bourbon
- 3-4 Dashes bitters (Angostura or Orange)
- 1 Sugar cube
- Water (a few drops)
- Orange peel (for garnish)
- In an Old Fashioned glass, pour in water, sugar cube, and bitters.
- Stir until melted.
- Add in ice cubes and bourbon. Lightly stir.
- Place an orange peel on top as a garnish.
If you are looking for another type of liquor to make elegant drinks, then you may want to invest in a bottle of brandy.
Brandy may not be on everyone’s essential liquors list. However, they are still important to a number of classic drinks. The Brandy Cocktail, Sidecar, and Champagne Cocktail are just some of the classic drinks that can be made with brandy. Invest in at least one bottle of good-quality brandy in order to be prepared.
Here is a classic cocktail made with brandy:
Just as whiskey has the Old Fashioned and the gin has the Martini, the classic drink for brandy is the Metropolitan. This is the perfect drink for you to enjoy before dinner.
- 2 oz. Brandy
- 1 oz. Sweet vermouth
- 1/2 Teaspoon simple syrup
- 2 Dashes Angostura bitters
- Put cocktail glass into the refrigerator.
- For the drink, pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well until combined.
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
These are just some of the most essential liquors that you should always have in stock at home. Search up the recipes of your favorite cocktails in order to find other essential liquors for you.
When you get home after a long day at work, make sure that you have the ability to choose what kind of classic cocktail you want to make. Did you have a rough day? Prep yourself a Metropolitan. Looking for something with a hint of a kick? Go for an Old Fashioned.
When your friends come over, make sure that you have the necessary liquor and ingredients to make delicious and elegant drinks. Celebrating your birthday? Prepare some Margaritas to get the party started. Want to hang out by the pool? Mix together some Piña Coladas for a cool and refreshing drink.
Keep your home bar stocked with these six essential liquors.