Facts You Need to Know about Beer
Drinking beer is a significant part of many Filipinos’ lives. It can be a great (temporary) remedy to mend your broken heart, as you have a heart-to-heart talk with your close friends and relatives, to somewhat ease your pain. Moreover, having a pint of this drink is a great way to start your weekend with your officemates, as you guys mark the end of another productive week at work.
Basically, drinking alcohol in the Philippines is a favorite tradition amongst the locals. Occasions such as birthdays, weddings, or festivals cannot simply pass by without the celebrants, along with their guests, drinking a mug of beer or two.
But have you ever thought about where this beloved beverage originated? How it evolved through the years before it became one of the most famous alcoholic drinks in the world?
Go ahead and read the details below to take a look at the beer’s ancient origins, its various types, and its surprising chemistry with cheese.
Alcohol in the Philippines
For starters, inuman sessions are a common occurrence in the Philippines. There isn’t a single moment where a group of friends gather around with one another with alcohol on the table, especially beer; and when it comes to beer, rest assured that a lot of things can take place.
Beer is a common choice in the Philippine alcohol setting. In fact, all forms of alcohol, including beer, welcomes different drinking antics for different drinkers. For instance, beer and karaoke make a great match, as well as beer and jamming sessions, beer and sudden philosophical discussions, and many more beer-oriented things.
Either way, you can never go wrong with beer in the Philippines. All you need to do is handle every sip well.
Blast from the Past
Just like its taste, beer has an extraordinary rich history worth knowing. Here’s a quick timeline on how beer started and evolve through the years:
- 4,000 BC – The oldest beer advertisement was found printed on a clay tablet.
- 7,000 BC – Fermented alcoholic beverages were brewed by ancient Chinese in a small and individual scale.
- 500 AD – Beer began to be brewed in monasteries as part of monks’ nutrition during the times of their abstinence.
- 1842 – The first Golden Pilsner was created in Czech Republic. It was successfully created through the combination of paler malts and new techniques.
- 1850 – The first bottle of beer was sold during this year.
- 19th century – Around sometime in the 19th century, a shipwreck found near Finland was known to carry the oldest drinkable beer in the word. It was found to be very tasty, old, and has an acidic aftertaste.
- 1935 – The Krueger’s Finest Ale was the first beer sold in a can.
- 1950’s – Beer Pong was invented at Dartmouth University. Then, a paddle less version of beer pong develops over the next 30 years.
- 1993 – Molson Breweries of Canada introduced ice beer.
- 1994 – Jack Daniel’s started brewing its craft beers in November 1994. However, customers did not receive it well, so they stopped making them eventually.
- 2007 – The largest beer bong was built, which consists of a funnel and two 25-metzer garden hoses.
What are the Different Beer Types?
Just like wines and spirits, beer has various types that offer different and delectable tastes. Here are a few types of beer you might want to try:
- Ale – Ale is a type of beer that brewed with the top fermenting yeast at a cellar temperature. It has a sweet taste and its color varies, depending on which grains were used. It is darker compared to lagers, which ranges from rich gold to reddish amber. Many produced ales contain hop, which makes this beer bitter.
- Lagers – Lagers is a type of beer that was fermented for a longer and lower temperature. Its taste is crisper and smoother compared to ale because of its longer fermentation process.
- Malts – Malt is commonly dark yet has a sweeter flavor. It contains flavors of caramel, nuts, and toffee, which makes the flavor richer.
The Chemistry between Beer and Cheese
Liquor and food is definitely a perfect couple. However, beer can be perfectly paired with cheese, especially because their flavor and freshness make a satisfying duo. Here are some examples of perfect beer and cheese combinations.
- Wheat and Lambic-style beer – The soft flavor of wheat and lambic beer is better consumed with the creamy taste and soft texture of fresh cheeses, such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, chevra, and ricotta.
- Pilsner, Bock, Brown Ale, and Imperial Stout – The variety of hard cheeses, such as sharp cheddar and mild cheddar makes a good combination with craft beer styles, such as Pilsner, brown ale, and imperial stout.
- Golden and Blonde Ales – Golden and blonde ales are perfect for natural rind cheeses, such as Lancashire and Stilton.
- Golden Strong Ales – Washed-rind cheeses are commonly bathed in wine and spirits, thus, making a good pair with the variety of golden strong ales.
What are the Health Benefits of this Alcoholic Drink?
Though beer is every Filipino’s choice-of-drink, many are unaware of the benefits beer can actually provide. While it certainly promotes a good time to be spent with your friends and loved ones, beer can help with your health as well. Here are some of the benefits you can gain with your regular bottle of golden liquor:
- High in Fiber – Beer is rich in other components that benefit the human body. Fiber is definitely one of those components. It’s a natural laxative, meaning that through its help whatever you digest will pass through your body in a natural pace.
- Helps Reduce the Risk of Diabetes – If you’re looking for a drink without the extra sugar buzz, then beer is the go-to choice for you. Drunken antics aside, research has shown that with moderated consumption, beer can help reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes by up to 30%, which is ideal for those who are trying to cut their sugar intake.
- Helps Relieve Stress – When a long day of hard work ends, most employees gain the opportunity to relieve themselves of the stress in any way they can. So why not flock over to your favorite bar and enjoy a couple of beers with your buddies? In today’s world of employment, it’s not uncommon to see employees drinking with their colleagues after they clock out. The stress of being in meetings and meeting deadlines for the day is guaranteed to be relieved with every sip of this drink.
- Makes You Look Youthful – Beer is definitely the alcoholic choice of people ages 18 and up. This is particularly because this beverage is rich in vitamin E, which helps maintain healthy skin and keep your appearance as youthful as ever. If you ever feel like you’re getting old, a couple of beers should help you regain your youth as well as help you relive the drunken memories of your good years in the past.
- Helps Reduce the Risk of Kidney Stones – When one consumes too much junk food, that person could feel ill afterwards. This is most certainly because some of its ingredients can be harmful to your body, especially your kidneys. The accumulation of these foods may just be enough to form kidney stones, which can cause extreme pain for you. Luckily, beer may just be the unlikely remedy and source of precaution for you as beer is rich in magnesium. With magnesium, the risk of kidney stones is guaranteed to decrease. It also ensures risk-free drinking, which is good news.
- Helps Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer – Heart disease and cancer are the diseases most heavily avoided by many. Not only are they devastating, but they are also very unpredictable – which means they can strike at any given moment. Fortunately, drinking beer (which is rich in vitamin B6) can help reduce the risk of heart disease, ensuring that you live a long and healthy life.
As for cancer, beer contains a flavonoid known as ‘xanthohumol,’ which helps in the killing of any build-up cancer within your body. It also contains other components that help prevent any harmful symptoms of cancer, which guarantees that you keep enjoying the pleasures of life with a bottle of beer in your hand.
What are the Other Snacks that Go Well with Beer?
Besides cheese, there is a multitude of other snacks that prove to be an excellent match when paired with beer. In the Philippines, drinking sessions around every corner are a common sight. Whether it be in a bar, someone’s garage, or anywhere outdoors, alcohol will always be in your line of sight.
You may also see a multitude of snacks, or most commonly known as pulutan, at the center of each table during these drinking sessions. Whether it be junk food or savory meats arranged for satisfactory pleasure, aside from cheese, here are some of the other snacks that go well with beer:
- Peanuts (Mani) – This snack is the most common pulutan of all. Not only can you find this anywhere (i.e. department/grocery stores, street vendors, etc.); it will surely fit right into your budget. Plus, there is also a wide range of other nuts you can fill up on while drinking beer with your buddies. Either way, you’ll never have to worry about running out of it in your next drinking sessions.
- Chicharon – This snack is more than just an appetizer; it’s more than just a drinking snack either. It can be served in a variety of ways with a wide array of sauces to suit your taste buds. In your drinking sessions, keeping this snack handy is guaranteed to fill you and your buddies up while waiting for the next round of beer to be served. However, you have to remember not to eat too much chicharon for it may be delicious, but it is really fatty and therefore isn’t good for your health.
- Tofu and Pork (Tokwa’t Baboy) – A popular Filipino side-dish, this can also be served in your inuman nights. The silky-soft texture of the tofu mixed with pork is enough to satisfy anyone who wishes to take a bite. Plus, it’s also very easy to prepare and ordering it from any bar you and your friends are at is just as easy as well.
- Sisig – When it comes to every drinking session in the country, this is one snack you absolutely cannot start without. Its crunchy yet tender texture makes it enough for anyone to grab a plateful of this savory meal and start eating. There’s also nothing like the satisfaction of hearing the dish sizzle on a special steel dish that will especially make your mouth water.
- Crispy Pata (Crispy Pork Leg/Thigh) – While the concept of snacks best-paired with beer is being discussed, this dish—along with sisig—is another snack that would make any other drinking session feel incomplete, if it’s absent from your table. Fried to perfection and tender on the inside, you might just focus on this dish more than the beer right next to you. Also, you never have to worry about missing out with this dish as it is always available in almost every restaurant or bar around. It is also easy on the budget too, you’ll never have to worry about spending too much on it, unless you order more than one serving of it in one sitting.
Why Should You Drink Beer?
This question serves as a reason for debate for most people, especially Filipinos. Since there is a wide array of other choices for people to drink, the question of “why should you drink beer?” presents itself.
The answer to this question is rather simple. In general, people drink for a plethora of reasons. It can be because they are trying to relieve stress, getting over a bad breakup, celebrating recent accomplishments, or maybe just hanging out with their close friends. During such occasions, the presence of alcohol, particularly beer, is very much considered as a staple.
Furthermore, the health benefits listed above are enough reasons to convince more people to consider drinking beer during their night outs. After all, who doesn’t like the idea of enjoying a drink while getting some benefits along the way?
Like other things in life, you’d be surprised as to how many other things you can still learn about beer. You can even bring these interesting facts onto the discussion table, while drinking this beverage. They will surely impress your friends and loved ones.
Apart from that, learning all about the different types of beers—along with their origins—will make any alcohol-lover appreciate this beloved beverage even more. If you are one of these people, then you would want to get the best possible beer products from a trustworthy Alcohol Distributor – Alcoline.
Alcoline has been in the liquor industry for about 10 years. Since then, we have been committed in providing an exceptional service to our clients. To know more about our beloved beverages, you can check out our product page!